100 DAYS INTO GOP HOUSE MAJORITY, AMERICANS ARE TIRED OF FAILED LEADERSHIP AND ANTIDEMOCRATIC VENDETTAS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
APRIL 13, 2023
Sarah Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON, D.C. –– Stand Up America Executive Director Christina Harvey issued the following statement looking back at the first 100 days of the House Republican majority:
“Rather than addressing the issues that matter to everyday Americans, MAGA Republicans have spent their first 100 days in the majority trying to hurt President Biden, prop up Donald Trump’s candidacy, and advance an extreme agenda that their constituents don’t support.
“From undermining public trust by gutting the Office of Congressional Ethics to passing measures in support of fake women’s health centers that put our ability to determine our own futures at risk, the party of Marjorie Taylor Greene and George Santos is abusing the power entrusted to them by voters to undermine our freedoms and effective government at every turn.
“We are tired of the MAGA majority’s failed leadership and antidemocratic vendettas. We want our elected leaders to build a better America, not tear down the foundations of the Republic.”
Here is a look at the House GOP’s accomplishments in the last 100 days:
- Empowered election deniers and Q-Anon conspiracy theorists to waste taxpayer dollars and abuse congressional oversight to harass their political enemies. A recent poll found that more than half of Americans (54%) believe the House GOP’s investigations are just political stunts.
- Provided a platform for right-wing conspiracy theorists to question vaccine efficacy, call into question the results of the 2020 presidential election, and rewrite the history of the January 6th attack.
- Attempted to harass and intimidate the career prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office in retaliation for Trump’s indictment.
- Passed two anti-abortion measures, including a bill that would require health care practitioners to provide medical treatment for a fetus after a failed abortion or face criminal penalties.
- Passed legislation to repeal IRS funding that ensures the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share of taxes.
- Manufactured a debt ceiling crisis in an attempt to ram through their plans to gut critical programs like Social Security and Medicare–– something 7 in 10 Americans are concerned about. The House GOP’s debt ceiling brinksmanship could have catastrophic consequences for everyday people, including delays to Social Security payments, veterans benefits, and the loss of six million jobs and $12 trillion in household wealth.
- Undermined public trust by gutting the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), the independent entity that investigates allegations of misconduct by House members, to protect George Santos and insurrectionists like Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs.
# # #
About Stand Up America
Stand Up America is a progressive advocacy organization with nearly two million community members across the country. Focused on grassroots advocacy to stand up to corruption and voter suppression and build a more representative democracy, Stand Up America has driven over 1.7 million calls to lawmakers, registered over 100,000 voters, mobilized thousands of protestors, and contacted tens of millions of voters.