FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
SEPTEMBER 15, 2022
Sarah Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Investment Includes Electing Pro-Democracy Secretary of State Candidates, Registering Voters
According to Washington Post analysis, More Than Half of GOP Primary Winners for Federal, Statewide Offices With Election Authority Dispute the Results of 2020 Election
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Stand Up America announced that it will be mobilizing the power of its 2 million members and making a seven-figure investment in the 2022 midterm elections to build a firewall for democracy in 2024 and beyond.
Across the country, election-deniers are running for election administration offices, including Secretary of State. To help protect democracy, Stand Up America is leveraging its large grassroots community and digital expertise to mobilize millions of voters in support of pro-democracy candidates, with a special focus on Arizona, Nevada, Michigan, and Minnesota.
Stand Up America’s Executive Director, Christina Harvey, issued the following statement on today’s announcement:
“American democracy is on the ballot this November. MAGA Republicans are working to put election deniers in key election administration positions, putting our future elections and hard-fought freedoms in jeopardy.
“As Americans watch these midterm elections with newfound urgency, Stand Up America and its two million community members will mobilize to educate, register, and turn out voters in these critical contests. We’ll channel our grassroots energy and digital expertise toward electing democracy champions as Secretaries of State and registering voters across the country.
“These efforts will help ensure that the candidate who walks into the White House in 2025—and every election after that— is the candidate who was elected by the people.”
Stand Up America will begin to erect a firewall by:
- Working in partnership with the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State (DASS) & Every Eligible American to educate our members and voters about the importance of key election administration positions.
- Mobilizing our 2 million members to:
- Write letters to unlikely voters in key states
- Send letters to the editor to local newspapers in support of democracy defenders
- Sign up for volunteer shifts in key races
- Working with influencers to:
- Educate the public on the role of Secretaries of State
- Launch a non-partisan social media voter registration campaign
- Deploying digital ads to:
- Educate voters about down ballot races, including through digital ballot guides, and help decrease down ballot dropoff
- Register progressive voters in key states
In key battleground states, election deniers make up two-thirds of GOP nominees for federal and statewide offices with authority over elections. Ahead of the 2024 election, MAGA candidates are already threatening to purge the voter rolls, end early and mail-in voting and change state laws to make it easier to overturn election results.
If you are interested in learning more about or covering Stand Up America’s election plans, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
# # #
About Stand Up America
Stand Up America is a progressive advocacy organization with over two million community members across the country. Focused on grassroots advocacy to stand up to corruption and voter suppression and build a more representative democracy, Stand Up America has driven over 1.7 million calls to lawmakers, registered over 100,000 voters, mobilized thousands of protestors, and contacted tens of millions of voters.