Roundup: Americans Support Vote-By-Mail Efforts, Experts Say It Doesn’t Benefit Any Political Party
Despite Donald Trump’s baseless attacks on vote-by-mail, it’s clear that voters, experts, and elected officials on both sides of the aisle believe that implementing it will help keep voters safe.
Here’s the latest news about the push for vote-by-mail:
Vast Majority of Americans Support Voting By Mail During Pandemic
Over the last few weeks, numerous polls have shown that a large majority of Americans support mail-in voting during the pandemic:
- The Wall Street Journal: Poll Finds 67% of Voters Support Mail-In Ballots for November Elections
- NBC News: Two-thirds Of Voters Back Vote-by-mail In November 2020
- Newsweek: Majority Of Americans Now Believe Voters Should Be Able To Cast Ballots By Mail In Wake Of Coronavirus Pandemic
- Another poll, conducted by YouGov in late March, found that a majority of Democrats (80 percent), Independents (64 percent), and Republicans (54 percent) support voting by mail.
Experts Say Mail-In Voting Doesn’t Benefit Any Political Party
Despite Donald Trump and GOP operatives’ lies about voting by mail benefiting Democrats over Republicans, election experts are pushing back on these false claims.
Recent studies show that it doesn’t benefit Democrats or Republicans more, but it does help increase voter turnout:
- The New York Times: Does Vote-By-Mail Favor Democrats? No. It’s a False Argument by Trump.
- The Washington Post: Universal Vote-By-Mail Doesn’t Benefit Any Political Party, Study Finds
- That’s why Democratic and some Republican governors are implementing vote-by-mail to help ensure voters can safely cast their ballots in upcoming elections.
Trump Lies About Mail-In Voting, Even As He Votes By Mail
Donald Trump has repeatedly used the White House podium to lie about the impact of mail-in voting, even while Trump himself votes by mail.
Here’s what reporters and experts say about his outrageous claims about voter fraud:
- The New York Times: Trump Is Pushing A False Argument On Vote-by-mail Fraud. Here Are The Facts.
- Vox: Trump’s Evidence Of Vote-By-Mail Election Fraud Is A “Pants On Fire” Lie
- The Washington Post: Trump, Who Has Lied About Voting For Years, Disparages Voting By Mail For Self-Serving Reasons
- CNN: Fact Check: Trump Lies About Voter Fraud While States, CDC Encourage Voting-by-mail As Pandemic-friendly Option
# # #
About Stand Up America
Stand Up America is a progressive advocacy organization with over two million community members across the country. Focused on grassroots advocacy to strengthen our democracy and oppose Trump’s corrupt agenda, Stand Up America has driven over one million calls to lawmakers and mobilized tens of thousands of protestors across the country.